Indiegogo gets absolutely terrible consumer ratings at Consumer Affairs. 1.5 stars out of 5. And the reviews are pretty incredible, especially in the way Indiegogo appears to be totally indifferent to obvious scams.
- I was a backer of one of their campaigns and the complaints were insane. The company was delaying and messing up all over the place on an Indiegogo campaign and it was clearly becoming a scam. I sought help from Indiegogo and posted a complaint. Indiegogo ignored me and my concerns. So I filed a scam complaint with my credit card company and they refunded my money to me, despite as I learned in an email, that Indiegogo rebutted my claim. Shame on everyone involved. I understand these direct to consumer campaigns carry some level of risk, but it became clear to me that Indiegogo is a platform that has no desire to protect the consumer and allows themselves to in reality participate in frauds.
- I contributed to a campaign with Indiegogo – a weighted blanket costing 149.00. The campaign kept asking for contributors to “upgrade” by paying more for something larger, which I did not want. Months later, with no more emails regarding any delays, there is no product coming. Emails to the campaign went unanswered, and Indiegogo says they cannot help at all. If the campaign failed, we should be notified one way or the other. I will never use that them again. Very poor business.
- Have been waiting for a purchase for a very long time. The backer has the funds but has become totally unresponsive. Clearly no intention to deliver. You’d think IndieGoGo would step in to prevent fraud on their platform right? Wrong. Con artists.
- For two years, I have paid over $230. However I didn’t receive any perks. I have contacted campaigners several times, but nobody replied for my messages. For the campaigns I have contributed, I have not received any of the them.
- I backed a campaign to the tune of $149 last year, which ultimately raised over $1.5m, and for which to this day, months after the last vague promises of dispatches, not a single product has been received. There are thousands of angry customers who have declared they have received nothing. The obviously fraudulent campaign has been flagged with Indiegogo, who not only do not offer refunds but also have not even shut down the campaign – it is still open and capable of receiving further funding! A criminal, somewhere, has made a fortune on the basis of a handful of flimsy lies, and all of it has been enabled by a company that chooses to look the other way whilst also profiting in the process. Indiegogo should be shut down.
These aren’t cherry-picked reviews either. They’re just five of the seven most-recently posted.