It’s somewhat intriguing to follow Ruby’s ongoing dating disaster. Needless to say, it’s not hard to see why she’s still single. But speaking as a guy who knows what he’s talking about when it comes to the world of the young, upwardly mobile male and his pretentious imitators, let me point out a few things:
1) If a guy initiates talk about his flashy car, but isn’t driving it that night for whatever reason, he’s probably full of it. If, however, you ask him what kind of car he drives out of the blue and he simply answers Porsche 911 or whatever, he’s probably telling the truth. Caveat – up North, no one drives their sports car in the winter. If he uses the phrase “winter car”, then he may well have cool summer car.
2) No one who actually wears Armani tells you about it. And if you can’t tell, what do you care anyhow? Besides, there’s six or seven different types of Armani. Emporio ain’t Alta Moda.
3) People who actually work for secret government agencies don’t ever tell you that, especially not in a bar. They’re more likely to tell you that they’re computer salesmen. Or accountants.
4) Guys who talk about money but don’t actually have much tend to carry a lot of cash around. The wealthiest guy I ever knew never had a dime on him.
5) There’s nothing inherently wrong with being a gold-digger, anymore than preferring to date handsome or intelligent men. But don’t be shocked when you get worked yourself by someone you were trying to work. Rich guys can spot your kind a mile away, and so can their imitators. Remember, if Daddy was smart enough to earn millions, Junior probably isn’t as dumb as he likes to act.