Note that these rules suggest that you are interested in dating women between the ages of 16-35, who are reasonably near your league with regards to power, fame, wealth and looks, and also happen to inhabit the planet Earth.
1. Be unpredictable. Tell her you’ll call, just don’t say when. If she asks, give a vague answer.
2. Be decisive. Always present her with a fait accompli on a first date. Never ask “what do you want to do?”
3. Be aggressive. If you don’t kiss her goodnight after the first three dates, then enjoy being filed away as a friend. Just be a man and get it over with on the first date. Unless you have take moral issue with this, which is fine and in which case you can safely ignore pretty much everything I have to say on the subject.
4. Be firm. If she won’t commit to a time and date, do not let her keep her options open. She’s testing you while seeing if something better might come along. Fail this test and you’ll face a seriously uphill battle to earn back her respect. If she says you can call her later in the week and see if she’s free, tell her “no thanks, I’ll just make other plans.” Then make other plans.
5. Be flexible. Once actually on the date, then go with the flow. The plan isn’t cast in stone; she just wants to know that you can make decisions. If you close down the restaurant chatting, it’s all good. Who cares about the movie. You can see it next time.
6. Be yourself. Don’t agree with things she says just to be agreeable. She has girlfriends to do that. Are you auditioning for a spot as her girlfriend? Everyone hates a posterior-smoocher, even those who expect it. And don’t exaggerate. There’s no point unless you’re going for a short-term fling, in which case you might as well swing for the fences. Tell her you’re Bill Gates’ favorite nephew and that you need a date for a little soiree in Paris that the Swiss ambassador is throwing in a few weeks. And in the meantime, how about dinner at that new Italian place?
7. Be an audience. Most men talk about themselves far too much. Ask questions and listen to her answers. Always ask at least one follow-on. What does she know about you? Do you know even half that much about her? If not, you’re talking too much.
8. Be relaxed. Don’t ask for a second date on the first one. If she’s interested, she’ll let you know.
9. Be aware. Sudden silence, wide-open eyes and a close-lipped smile is a woman’s way of saying “shut up and kiss me already, you idiot.”